Hi, I'm Leila Viss, pianist, organist, teacher, author of The iPad Piano Studio and blogger at 88pianokeys.me.
I enjoy teaching piano to around 45 students ranging in age from 6 to 91. I am drawn to discovering innovative teaching methods and successful practice strategies to encourage the average player stick to the bench for life. Customizing lessons for each student is a priority and therefore I provide "blended" instruction of Classical, Jazz and Pop. The ever-changing tools of technology assist me in my daily teaching. Every student not only has a private lesson but a lab session as well. Lab assignments include activities using the latest music software, MIDI, iPad apps, a Clavinova and more.
In 2012, I decided to try my hand at hosting my own blog and have found a new “love” at 88pianokeys.me.
My fascination with the iPad and apps resulted in the book "The iPad Piano Studio: Keys to Unlocking the Power of Apps." What began as an idea, a nudge and then a reality is now serving as required reading for pedagogy students.
Invited by Pete Jutras, the editor of Clavier Companion, I now pen a column for the piano magazine called "Apps for Teaching."
I've served on planning committees for the MNTA (Music Teachers National Association) 2013 Jazz/Pop Track, the MNTA 2014 Improvisation Track and was appointed chair of the Creative Pianist Track by Dr Sam Holland of the NCKP 2015 (National Conference on Keyboard Pedagogy.)
Much of the above activities in the previous paragraph has to do with my good friend and colleague Bradley Sowash--a dynamic jazz pianist, author and educator. He contacted me in 2012 to help him plan the 2013 Jazz/Pop track. Things haven't stopped since then as we have co-founded 88 Creative Keys. This joint venture features camps, clinics and workshops to promote creativity.
When not teaching, blogging, planning...I am usually practicing the organ and piano for my church position, adjudicating piano and composition competitions, presenting at conferences, exercising, and if there’s any time left, reading a good book (on my iPad, of course).
See other posts by Leila Viss
- Kick Off 2016 with a Pop Music Webinar
- How will you play it forward?
- Wolfie App: A New Reality
- Four Secrets of a Successful Studio
- Finding A Creative State of Mind
- Explore and Create Harmony with Tin Pan Rhythm
- forScore and Cicada: A Match Made in Heaven
- Develop the Mind’s Ear with Meludia
- A Musical Mother’s Day Card
- Apps for Your Digital Toolbox
- Performance-Enhancing Apps for Your Students
- The Day My Music Teacher’s Helper Account Expired
- Keep Your Studio Relevant with Pianoflix
- A Savvy Keepsake for Your Students!
- Keep Them Practicing with Practice Pouches
- Music Apps for Ear Training
- Check Out This Metronome App: Practice+
- Why Don’t We Collaborate?
- YouTube Offers a Channel for Inspiration
- The ABC’s for Sizzling Summer Lessons