This blog was inspired by an article with the same title that I read in the Autumn 2001 Keyboard Companion magazine as part of my studies. As I was reading through the article, I noticed that my list of things I wish I’d know was quite different. I thought I’d share the 10 things that I wish I had known before I started teaching: [···]
After last month’s article, are you still looking for:
- A few ideas for a fresh new way to start off a lesson?
- A few quick improv games to use in a group setting?
- A reward activity for a student’s hard work on an assignment?
- Starter ideas for the next composition:
In each part of this series, we are exploring a different angle in the music creativity process. So, today we are going to explore improvisation with an activity I call…
“Walking the Dog!”
Excuse Me? You may be wondering what exercising your pet has to do with improvisation techniques? I have found this to be one of the best and ways to help my students to understand and practice development of motifs and phrases. Most people can relate to having a new pet with fond recollection, and so you’ll immediately have their eager attention to try this exercise when you greet them with “Today we’re walking the dog!”
The Motif: A Mini Melody
I first ask the student to play a mini, or baby melody, 3 or 4 notes (recommend mostly steps and maybe one larger interval). [···]
Here is the list of things we’ve improved on Music Teacher’s Helper the past month or so, based on requests and feedback we’ve had from our members. These improvements aren’t as numerous as last month, but they certainly aren’t any less spectacular. Thanks for all your great feedback!
- Feature: Make-up Lessons! You can now track how many make-up lessons each student has, and use up those make-up credits when creating or editing an event. To give a make-up lesson credit, choose the “Issue Credit” checkbox when reconciling the lesson. Then click “Issue Make-up Credit”. You can see your list of make-up credits under Lessons -> Make-up Lesson Credits. To use up a credit, click the checkbox that says, “This is a make-up lesson” when creating or editing an event. Enjoy!
- Feature: Calendar Repeating Events by Day of the Week. For example, you can now create an event that repeats on the “2nd Tuesday of every month”.
- Feature: Mileage Report! See a history of the miles or kilometers you’ve traveled within a specific date range. You can find this under the Reports page.
- Feature: The Daily Summary Report now e-mails the report to each teacher between 4:00-5:00am in their time zone, rather than Eastern Time. You can set your time zone from Home -> Preferences.
- Feature: Added currency option for Filipino Peso.
- Feature: Added a link to our Twitter account on the Blog sidebar.
- BugFix: New Custom Registration Form Fields weren’t saving properly.
- BugFix: When a student fills out the registration form on your studio website, the notification that it was successful now appears larger and more clearly.