This month, my blog is a simple one (like me!). I’ve stumbled on a cheap idea for teaching anything involving sequencing and I’m loving it (and my students too)!
Enter the mighty…(drum roll)…cup!
Yes, some easy to come by disposable cups can quickly be transformed into some really fun teaching aids. Why not lay out the cups in a random fashion and challenge your pupil to stack them into the correct order.
Think about how you could use this technique in your lessons. Here are some ideas for organising musical concepts:
• Dynamics (from quietest to loudest)
• Rhythm notes and rest (from shortest to slowest)
• Periods of history
• Technical names of the scale
• Key signature sharps or flats
• Instruments of the orchestra into families
• Articulations (shortest to longest)
What other musical concepts could be taught or tested this way? Please feel free to add your ideas as a comment below.