Teachers get tired, need to refresh.
We need time away from lessons and students. Whether for an hour, a week, a month or a season. How can we relax and refresh ourselves to be ready when the next student shows up at the door?
I asked my friends at Piano Teacher Central, on Facebook, what helps them recharge.
Here are answers from this generous group:
- Read, read, & read. Preferably sitting on a quiet deck or by a rushing stream. Marathon TV series watching—currently watching Doc Martin!
- Silence and a good night’s sleep without the deadline of a morning lesson.
- Quilt, garden, genealogy, and other crafts that hit my fancy!
- Play the piano
- Look at FB lol
- Wait, you mean there is life beyond teaching piano?
- Quilt many quilts… some even with music.
- Agree with the second one above, but also art
- I love country walking when I need a break. Very energizing and refreshing.
- Play Angry Birds on FB, read, binge-watch movies, beach time.
- A walk in the woods or a good workout with a DVD (dance party! Lol)
- I play with my kids, and read…I honestly need it to be pretty quiet once I finish teaching, at least for awhile.
- I used to teach in the summer… …Now I’ve decided that summers are short, the weather is beautiful and having July and August off is my reward for 10 months of hard work. I will refresh myself by reading at the beach just a few blocks away, learning to stand up paddle board, kayaking, and doing photography.
- I go here (photo of sun setting over a calm ocean beach) and hide from the world. I don’t touch anything to do with lessons for awhile.
- It helps me to read piano blogs and posts on Piano Teacher Central! I get excited about teaching again and using new ideas.
As for me, I:
- get “musicked out”—spend time in silence
- read books on teaching
- read blog posts
- attend live performances—variety of genres
- hold a private sight-reading marathon
- browse music books and sheet music at the local music store
- sub for another teacher on vacation—I have no idea why this works, but it does
- jam with other musicians for the fun of it
- further my education—attend workshops
- try out new pianos and guitars at the music store
- have been known to take a long soak in the tub
How do YOU refresh?